Saturday, November 22, 2008

Am I a bad mother?

Today was good and bad, as a mother, and I just don't know which one is making me feel the most.
Maybe that doesn't make sense. I had some wonderful moments, and some terrible moments, and the bad ones want to overwhelm the wonderful ones.
Usually I like to wake up to a fresh start, cuz each day represents a new beginning. No worries.
I love to give my kids kisses while their cheeks are still rosy and warm from sleeping. It's one of my favorite things about being a mom.
Later in the day, my son wanted to show his friend who stopped by to play, his bass playing skills and wanted to play Jingle Bells for him. I decided I would tape the playing so I could send it to my mother in law in Michigan. I knew she would love to see this.
I then had asked my daughter to accompany my son with her clarinet, and this is where all hell broke loose.
My daughter has been playing an instrument for three years, and my son for three months, tops.
His version of jingle bells was simple, and my daughter had music for much more complicated ensemble Jingle Bells. According to her, she couldn't do a duet, because the music wouldn't match.
Then everyone in my family decided to go against what I thought, and told me the same thing, which is her playing the music she had would not match what my son had. I just wanted this to work, and they could have found music on the internet easily, I thought.
We got into such a heated argument, when all I wanted was something so simple as to hear both kids play a simple lovely Christmas song.
In order to prove my point, I decided to go on line myself to see if I could find simple Jingle Bells music for the clarinet, and it just happened to pop up on the first page. This whole ordeal that we had today could have been avoided if only my family wasn't so stubborn and determined to prove themselves right and me wrong. Sorry but that is the way I feel.
I hate it, too.
I want to have a harmoneous life with my family but sometimes it just doesn't happen.
I left in a huff, and brought the 18 pound turkey I recently received from the Cub Scout pack (who are the best, I'm tellin' ya) over to my mom's house so she could put it in her fridge in the basement.
Yes, Thanksgiving is over five days away, but according to mom, defrosting right now is just fine. What a hunk of meat this thing is.
My family is still trying to heal from today, as I have ignored them for the most part. They're hungry? Then make something to eat. Maybe tomorrow we'll be able to have a better day - we'll start fresh, again.

No comments: